Abnormalities that can adversely affect the operation of a sewer system are shaped over time and add to its burden. More or less anywhere in the sewer and if you have a problem the symptoms are common. The main ones are:
- Poor drainage of water in the sewer . This means that water can be absorbed very slowly or not at all.
- Unpleasant odors emanating from the sewer indicate stagnation of sewage such as food debris that rots.
- Moisture in walls that pass through drainage pipes is another sign that the flow is not normal. In many cases water leaks inside the wall creating moisture.
- Gargling sounds when draining water can indicate difficulty in water flow. This happens when a pipe tends to clog
Why the sewer is clogged and what you can doThe main reasons that can create a blockage in the sewer are:
- The accumulation of cooking fat, food waste, hair, paper, soap and organic waste in the piping
- The antiquity of the sewer
- Defects and inadequate network maintenance
- A more general problem of the central drainage system
Obstruction of the kitchen sinkA clogged sink is probably the most common problem most people face. The main causes of clogging are the dumping of grease, food waste, dishwashing detergent and other waste that ends up in the sink. This mixture of sewage over time creates a hard casing in the passage of the pipes reducing its diameter, until it is completely blocked.
How easily do the unblocking the sink in the kitchen
In order to unclog the sink will need baking soda, vinegar and hot water in the end. Soda and white vinegar react with each other to form a mild corrosive mixture that softens grease and dirt that clogs the sink. Below are the steps separately.
- First make sure there is no stagnant water in the sink.
- Pour half a cup of baking soda directly into the sink siphon.
- After 5 minutes, empty half a cup of white vinegar in exactly the same way.
- Place a relatively damp cloth over the siphon and wait for another 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, heat 3 liters of water in the kettle or pot.
- Carefully pour the hot water directly into the pipette while first moving the cloth.
If you notice unpleasant odors it means that the materials that have clogged the pipes “soften” and smell. To neutralize them you can empty at the end of the process half a cup of natural lemon juice. Alternatively instead of white vinegar you can use salt (the same amount) following the exact same procedure.
Clogging of the bathroom sinkThe bathroom sink is clogged mainly by the accumulation of hair, soap and toiletries that end up in the sewer.
How to easily disassemble the bathroom sink
The easiest way to disassemble the sink is by using a wire or alternatively a wire hanger. In essence, you will “fish” the hairs and everything else that stands in the way of the flow of water. The steps are very easy:
- Straighten the wire with pliers and create a small hook on the edge
- Insert the wire into the sink siphon and push it inwards until you find an obstacle in the path
- Pull out the trash
- Finally, empty 3 liters of hot water
Clogging of the toilet bowl
The basin can be clogged with paper, bristles, all kinds of garbage and organic wastewater. The health risk is high in case of water overflow, so it must be addressed immediately. Before calling professionals you can try to disassemble it using the suction cup method. We will suggest you two versions.
With a suction cup
- Wear gloves
- Position the suction cup so that it covers the bottom of the pelvis
- Move the suction piston up and down in sequence until you hear water being released into the drain.
- Repeat if necessary
- Raise the lid of the basin
- Cover the basin tightly with the film so that there is no vacuum at all.
- Apply another three coats of film
- Squeeze the membrane with your hands until you hear the water release
Bonus tip – With Coca Cola
Cola products contain an ingredient that can be very helpful in clearing the pelvis, phosphoric acid. It is well known to dentists as it causes damage to tooth enamel. By the same logic, it erodes the dirt from the sewer. To disassemble the basin you will need 3 liters of Coca Cola, 3 liters of hot water and a little patience.
Pour three liters of Coca-Cola into the basin (preferably overnight) and do not pour water overnight
In the morning pour 3 liters of hot water into the basin
How to disassemble a bathtub with a spiral blockage : The bathtub as well as the bathtub are clogged with hair, soap and toiletries. You can use a wire (or wire hanger) and the suction cup that we have already mentioned to disassemble the bathtub. However, you can also use an obstruction spiral or otherwise steel. This tool is essentially a spiral metal cable that enters the drain from the siphon and unscrews it. The process is very simple.
- Insert the spiral into the tub siphon and push it inward until you encounter an obstacle
- When you find the point where there is a block, gently turn the pulley
- Push the steel deeper to make sure it is loose
- Pour enough hot water
Other ways of occlusion worth mentioningDrainage drain with dish detergent and hot water
In this method, the combination of detergent that fights grease and food residues from the surfaces and hot water, will clean the drain from dirt.
- Put 3 liters of water in the pot
- Pour 10ml of dish detergent into the pot
- Once the water is warm enough, empty it slowly into the drain
Sewer blockage with chemicals?The use of chemicals to dismantle the sewer is something we do not recommend. Chemicals can only provide a solution in superficial cases because it is impossible to act deeper in the network. If you use them it is very important to wear gloves and goggles. You should also strictly follow the instructions on the product regarding the quantity you will use.
What are the main disadvantages of chemical blockers?
- It is harmful to the respiratory system of humans, pets and the environment in general
- Repeated use can corrode and damage metal and synthetic sewer pipes
- Indelible surfaces such as the basin or bathtub can be stained indelibly
How to protect the sewerIn order to never have an obstruction problem due to your own use, it is wise to follow some painless rules as well as take some precautionary measures.
- Avoid throwing any waste in the sewer
- Install protective filters on the pipettes
- Be observant with early symptoms of malfunction such as poor water suction or unpleasant odors
- You can periodically pour hot water into the drain to “break” the sewage that has solidified in the pipes before it accumulates more